Note: I have adapted, what I believe, are 5 Major Points taken from Johnathan Edwards Sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.' This was preached to the congregation in Enfield (then a part of Massachusetts, but soon to be part of Connecticut after colony lines were redrawn in 1749).
Clarity on the Topic of Sin
1. God is Just and Righteous: "He who is the High and Lofty One that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; I am the LORD, I change not" (Malachi 3:6). We have no hope of Salvation other than through His Grace.
2. Our Sins Deserve Punishment: “Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father, as well as the soul of the son, is Mine; The soul who sins shall die” (Ezekiel 18:4). Without Grace, we are justly subject to eternal damnation for our sins.
3. Grace Offers Redemption From That Punishment: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works" (Ephesians 2:8-9). Grace offers us a way out of our desperate situation.
4. Clarity in What Grace Requires: “Now by this, we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments” (1 John 2:3). Grace provides clear direction for redemption from our sins.
5. Grace gives us hope and an opportunity to make things right with God through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. So then, with a humble spirit and contrite heart, we can pray to Him and ask for forgiveness of our sins.
This is known as the Sinner's Prayer: "Father, I confess that I have sinned against You and Your Holy law. Therefore, I repent and turn away from my sin, with your help, never to do it again. Please forgive me, Lord, on account of Jesus' shed Blood on the Cross. I believe in Him and accept Him as my Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, I pray, Amen."
Through this prayer, we can find hope, peace, and assurance that God will forgive us for our sins. We can rest assured that He is merciful to those who call upon His name. And although the consequences of our actions
Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and change my heart. In Jesus' name, Amen." We hope for grace and redemption by accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We can receive forgiveness for our sins and eternal life with Him by praying. May the Grace of God be upon us all. Amen.