Scriptures that support the idea of pursuing holiness and a brief explanation of each:
1. Leviticus 19:2 - "Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them, You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy."
*** This verse is a command from God to His people to be holy because God Himself is holy. This means that as we follow and obey God, we should strive to imitate His character, which includes being holy.
2. 1 Peter 1:15-16 - "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy because I am holy.'"
*** This verse emphasizes that as Christians, we are called to be holy because God is holy. This means that we should live our lives in a way that reflects God's holiness and purity.
3. Hebrews 12:14 - "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness, no one will see the Lord."
*** This verse emphasizes the importance of holiness in our relationship with God. Without holiness, we cannot see God. Therefore, we should make every effort to pursue righteousness in our lives.
4. 2 Corinthians 7:1 - "Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God."
*** This verse encourages us to purify ourselves from everything that contaminates us and strive for holiness out of reverence for God.
5. Ephesians 1:4 - "For he chose us in him before the world's creation to be holy and blameless in his sight." This verse reminds us that even before we were created, God chose us to be holy and blameless in His sight.
***This means that holiness is something we should strive for and part of God's plan for our lives.
In conclusion, these scriptures provide a strong argument in favor of holiness. Therefore, as believers, we are called to imitate God's holiness and strive for purity in all our lives.
Pursuing holiness is part of God's plan for our lives and essential for our relationship with Him. Therefore, we should try to live holy lives out of reverence for God.