The Word of God as the Ultimate Standard
While adapting our beliefs to fit society's ever-changing morals is tempting, as believers, we must remember that our ultimate standard is not public opinion but the Word of God. Scripture offers us a moral compass that is both unchanging and reliable. It's the leading authority for our faith and practice, providing timeless principles that apply to all areas of our lives.
In a world that's constantly changing, it's comforting to know that we have an unchanging God and an unvarying standard in His Word. By adhering to this, we can navigate the complexities of life with confidence and moral clarity.
Point 1: Sexual Immorality
- 1 Corinthians 6:18 (NKJV): "Flee sexual immorality. Every sin man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body."
- Society has grown increasingly permissive about various forms of sexual expression outside the boundaries of Biblical marriage.
- Flee from it, guard your thoughts, and uphold the sanctity of marriage.
Point 2: Materialism and Greed
- Matthew 6:24 (NKJV): "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."
- Society glorifies material success as the ultimate aim, but Scripture warns against serving money instead of God.
- Evaluate your priorities and adjust to focus more on God and less on worldly pursuits.
Point 3: Dishonesty and Lying
- Ephesians 4:25 (NKJV): "Therefore, putting away lying, 'Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,' for we are members of one another."
- Lying and deceit may be seen as 'small' or 'white lies,' but Scripture makes no distinction.
- Commit to honesty in all areas of life.
Point 4: Abandoning Biblical Marriage Roles
- Ephesians 5:22-25 (NKJV): "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord... Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.
- Modern society often blurs or entirely erases Biblical roles within marriage.
- Strive for a marriage that reflects the principles laid out in Scripture.
Conclusion: Standing Firm in Shifting Sands:
While Society changes, the Word of God does not.
Brothers and Sisters, we must realize we live in a world like shifting sands. Social mores, ethical norms, and even scientific truths can change overnight. What was considered a vice yesterday may be hailed as a virtue today.
* But we serve an immutable God, whose Word "endures forever" (Isaiah 40:8, NKJV). His principles do not evolve or adapt based on cultural trends; they remain the same—yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8, NKJV).
In light of this, it is incumbent upon us to align our lives not with the ever-changing values of the World but with the eternal truths found in the Bible. We have been given a roadmap, a guide to navigating life's complex and often confusing landscape. As the Psalmist says, God's Word is a "lamp to [our] feet and a light to [our] path" (Psalm 119:105, NKJV). Let’s be men and women who don’t just read the Word but apply it, cherish it, and, most importantly, live it out.
I implore every one of you to stand firm in your faith. Don't let the changing winds of culture sweep you off your feet. Instead, be like the wise man who built his house upon the rock (Matthew 7:24-25, NKJV). When the rains of societal change and the floods of moral relativism come, your house will stand because it is built upon the unchanging Word of God.
Let's close in prayer, asking the Lord to empower us to live by His eternal standards, to be lights in this ever-darkening world, and to stand firm in the truth no matter what societal trends may come our way.