As people of faith, it can be challenging to discern between Man's Way and God's Way. Thankfully, the Bible provides five (5) Principles that can help guide our decision-making: Discernment, Application, Wisdom, Commitment, and Holiness.
1. Discernment: Discernment is about seeking the Lord for understanding and clarity when faced with difficult decisions or circumstances. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths” (NKJV). Discernment helps us identify whether something is consistent with what God has instructed us to do or not to do.
2. Application: Applying God’s Word to our lives requires using wisdom and understanding to make wise decisions in any given situation. It means putting into practice what we know about the Lord’s will for us so we can live a life of obedience and holiness (1 Peter 1:15).
3. Wisdom: Making wise choices is an essential part of Christian living and requires having knowledge, insight, and discernment when making a decision (Proverbs 2:6). Asking God for wisdom, as outlined in James 1:5-8 gives us the ability to make informed decisions that are consistent with His will.
4. Commitment: Pursuing God’s way requires a commitment to His will and our decision-making process. Commitment means trusting that He will provide for our needs as we live according to His principles (Psalm 37:4).
5. Holiness: The Bible speaks of holiness as being set apart from the world and living by God’s standards. This includes applying Biblical truths to every aspect of our lives and remaining focused on furthering His Kingdom (1 Peter 1:15-16).
By turning to these Biblical Principles, we can be assured that when faced with Man's Way vs. God's Way, we can make decisions that honor His Word. So may we be wise in discerning between the two and always follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.
God bless you! Amen.